Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Using seed catalogs to plan for next year

When the weather looks like this outside...
...it seems like a strange time to think about gardening, but now is the perfect time to use a seed catalog to start planning for what we'll plant in the spring.  Today, we looked through the seed catalogs wrote down the plants we thought we'd like to eat.  Once we finish these wish lists, we'll talk about which plants grow well in our climate, and decide which ones are best for us to grow.

Milaun browsed an online catalog

Here are some highlights from our wish lists:
Lorne: "I chose white yams because I tried them over Thanksgiving and they didn't taste like I thought they would."
Jamari: "I chose Walla Walla Sweet Onions because it's a weird name and it must mean they're really sweet."
Milaun: "I chose blueberries because they taste great and I like to wear blue outfits."
Alzario: "I'm looking into heirloom fruits and herbs because I thought that only vegetables came in heirloom varieties."

Jamari used a paper catalog that comes in the mail each winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment