Thursday, December 12, 2013

More garden planning

The first thing we ask when we decide whether or not to plant a plant in our garden next year is, "will someone eat it?"  This is the most important question to ask first because we might be wasting space and money, and if nobody is going to eat it, what is the point of planting it?

The second thing we ask when planning our garden is, "will it grow?"  For example, last year we tried a pineapple plant, but it didn't grow because it's too cold in Chicago; pineapples only grow in tropical places.  Another thing that would be be awesome to grow is cocoa beans.  We'd love to have chocolate, but since the climate is wrong, we won't buy seeds to grow them.

The third question we ask when planning our garden is, "do we have enough space?"  Once we've finished our wish list, we'll look at a map of our garden and plan it out.

Here are some of the highlights from our lists of plants we'd like to try in the spring.
Casimir: "Pumpkin is on my wish list because they are delicious, you can decorate them, and you can sell them and get a lot of money."
Ruler: "My plant I would like to grow is watermelon because although honeydew melon is good I think watermelon would top it off."

Rakeem: "Something on my wish list is honeydew melon because it's good and I think a lot of people will eat it."
Cecil: "One thing I would like to plant is a different type of corn that is different colors because people eat corn and it would be nice to try a different type."
Terrence: "A vegetable that is on my wish list is lunchbox red peppers, which I saw in the seed catalog.  I want this vegetable because I really like peppers and it would be nice to try something new."

No comments:

Post a Comment